GAZ Adjustable Shock Absorbers

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
prop

GAZ Adjustable Shock Absorbers

Post by prop » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:47 am

I fitted GAZ shock absorbers in the rebuild. So they went on the road in 2013. Towards the end of 2019 I found when I went over a very slight uneven road surface the car hit it as though the suspension was solid. It went BANG!. I racked my brains and thought of all possibility’s something lose, something worn. I checked it all over, adjusted the shocks to softest setting. Still BANG!. I was left with shock absorber fault. I took the GAZ shocks off the front and and fitted a pair of standard that I had in my box. Problem solved, BANG! gone.
I have to say very disappointed with the GAZ shocks. I have probably covered no more than 5000 miles on them, perhaps that’s the problem. I would not recommend them at all. They were not cheap either.
I restored a mk3 Triumph Spitfire many years ago and used Spax adjusters. They also packed up after a short time so wouldn’t recommend them either.
I am going to fit KYB Gas A Just. Let’s hope they last somewhat longer.

I owned a VW T4 min bus from new I had it 20 years did over 200,000 miles in it. It had problem free original shocks on it when I sold it. Shock absorbers can be made to last so there can be no excuses.