Wiring to coil, oil, and others connections

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
arrian

Re: Wiring to coil, oil, and others connections

Post by arrian » Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 am

That's great you found that. I've just downloaded it! I also purchased the ERA parts microfiche that was on ebay and have run it through a microfiche scanner and am in the process of turning it into a pdf which I might upload here as it would be a bit easier to navigate offline

kayball

Re: Wiring to coil, oil, and others connections

Post by kayball » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Arrian and All.
Good work in finding a copy of AKM6353. I had searched without success.
CAUTION: Please be very careful when interpreting these circuit diagrams. e.g. the first fold out (RM 2667) shows the wiring diagram for the 1988 Mini, which shows a resistive coil ballast lead coloured Pink/White, which connects the coil (83) to the Ignition switch (81). then to terminal 1 of Fuse 1-2 in the Fuse Box (284). In addition, a White/Yellow wire is connected to the starter solenoid (81) to short out the ballasted lead when starting, thus giving full voltage to the coil. On the Turbo however, a standard, non-ballasted coil is used, shown at the bottom left corner of the second fold out sheet(Supplementary Wiring Diagram for the Turbo- RM2888) this coil (still numbered 83) is shown connected with a White wire to terminal 1 and a Black/White wire to the ECU (Item84) via the ‘diamond’ link number 4. (Note: Numbers in a Diamond indicate a connection to an identical number on the same sheet.) The dizzy and associated amplifier are not shown, (at least I haven't found them yet) but are connected directly across the coil with corresponding Black/White and White leads. A Green lead also connects from the other (fused) side of Fuse 1-2 (284) to the Vent Valve (136) and also to the ECU via the Boost Modulator (420/421) changing colour to Light Green over the last run.
Similar type circuit amendments for the ERA are also shown on the Right Hand corner of the latter diagram. Here the Fuel pump (103); Pump Ballast Resistor (96); Fuel Pump Relay (97) and Oil pressure Switch (114) have been added. Note the White/Purple feed wire to the Starter Solenoid contact (81) which supplies the fuel pump whilst Ignition is set to position III (start) which is entirely different to the wiring shown on the first 1988 Mini sheet. Hence the CAUTION! There are probably other differences so please be very careful that they are all noted.
Best of luck.
Pete K.