VDO instrument bulbs

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
prop

VDO instrument bulbs

Post by prop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 pm

I have a bulb missing from my instruments and was wondering if anyone new where to get the green caps from that cover the bulbs?
Or has anyone used the replacement green led bulbs that are on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-GREEN-Wide ... 3f18889707

prop

Re: VDO instrument bulbs

Post by prop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Dash lights
Changing instrument bulbs to LED
I decided to use green 12v LEDs in my instruments.
I know this is a departure from original but as the green silicon covers proved impossible to get, I thought this is a good alternative. These LEDs are supposed to last a lot longer than the incandescent originals and don’t run hot and are easily available. I suppose I could have made one of the green covers that are too big fit but I decided to look at the alternatives.
So here we go.
The light from them is very good. It is similar to the original just a little greener (I prefer it to the original).
I had to modify the bulb for the rev counter as the light is concentrated at the end and it caused a bright spot on the dial at the top. So by cutting off the end of the bulb it acts as a diffuser and eliminates the bright spot. It also helps to reduce the length of the bulb to make it nearer the original bulb length. I rounded it off with a Dremel. That spreads the light a little. If you do this be careful not to go too close to the semiconductor.

When I connected the power to the instruments the two bulbs I had left original, the boost gauge and the fuel gauge, didn’t match. The boost gauge being quite dull. I decided to change them also.
The LED for the fuel gauge needed to be reduced in circumference so the Dremel was used again (don’t take the entire green ring off or the bulb will part company from its metal base). I bought bulb holders the same as the originals. They are the same circumference as the original holder for the fuel gauge bulb (being different to the others) so fit well. With the reduced size of the LED it fits neatly into the green cover in the gauge.

The boost gauge accepts the LED without modification apart from painting the green ring black to reduce light pollution behind the dash. It sits quite high in the sleeve of the gauge so I reduced the length of the sleeve. (I packed the sleeve with rag to stop metal entering the gauge and removed it after cutting) An earth lead is needed to be made up to connect the new holders to make the circuit.

The LEDs need to be wired in correctly as they only pass current one way so you need to check that they work in the holders, the centre contact being the feed and the outer earth.
It is difficult getting a photo of the dash lit up. It looks better live than in the photo.

If anyone needs an original replacement bulb and cover PM me I may be able to help.
Attachments
IMGA0451.JPG
IMGA0451.JPG (49.01 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
IMGA0448.JPG
IMGA0448.JPG (54.24 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
IMGA0447.JPG
IMGA0447.JPG (52.55 KiB) Viewed 9448 times

prop

Post by prop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 pm

The other photos
Attachments
SANY0123.JPG
SANY0123.JPG (73.34 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
IMGA0495.JPG
IMGA0495.JPG (61.95 KiB) Viewed 9448 times
IMGA0491.JPG
IMGA0491.JPG (14.41 KiB) Viewed 9448 times

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Looks good to me and i don't think anyone will worry about you using LED'd rather than green covered bulbs.
Might be worth me getting a set to keep in stock for when mine start to pop.