Front sub frame

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
prop

Front sub frame

Post by prop » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi everyone.
My front sub frame has a curved front to it. As far as I can see the curved front sub frames were put into MK4 1300 models from 1990 to lower the engine and bring it forward . Although the registration year of mine is 1992 I think it was built in 1989. Everything is right. all the holes in the right places the oil cooler brackets are all as you would expect from ERA the steel brake pipes are all as you would expect to see them and not home made I know that the straight front sub frame is in the ERA. Can you have a look at yours and see if it is curved or straight as I need to get to the bottom of this. I was wondering if ERA were trying them out at that time before Rover put them into production.
Have a look and let me know. Your help would be most appreciated
Cheers

r1076

Re: Front sub frame

Post by r1076 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:06 pm

This is the only pic i have.
Maybe it helps.

wanted: Radio, front speaker, heater cover panel and radio panel

for sale: Castrol Sticker

prop

Post by prop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the photo.
It is difficult to see but it looks like yours is straight.
The photos of my sub frame are a bit clearer. You can see it in the picture of the sub frame in primer. It is not so easy in the other picture.
Again if others can just have a look and let me know if their front frame is curved or straight. I am still convinced mine is original but why it would be curved and not straight I have no explanation.
Attachments
SANY0174.JPG
SANY0174.JPG (50.67 KiB) Viewed 14557 times
SANY0070.JPG
SANY0070.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 14557 times

r1076

Post by r1076 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm

What makes me wonder is, that on my car the inner wings are bolted to the subframe. On your subframe the holes on the side of the subframe are missing. Or was mine modified?

wanted: Radio, front speaker, heater cover panel and radio panel

for sale: Castrol Sticker

prop

Post by prop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi.
I have never seen that done before. I suspect that it is a modification. I am not sure why. I notice that in your photo the fixing for the front body kit has been modified and strengthened as well.

kayball

Post by kayball » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Just checked ERA drawing (attached) and front cross member is shown straight, Dated May 1998.
Was auto subframe curved? Rumor has it that some cars were fitted with Auto frame to move engine forward.
Regards
Pete K
Attachments
Front Subframe Mods reduced .jpg
Front Subframe Mods reduced .jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 14494 times

prop

Post by prop » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi.
It isn't an auto sub frame. My Riley had an auto sub frame and it had to have a spacer under the near side engine mounting as it is that little bit wider than the manual sub frame, and my car didn't have a spacer. All the holes are in exactly the right places. Exactly as the drawing.
(the drawing doesn't show the holes for the towing attachment. My sub frame doesn't have those holes)
I still find it hard to believe that someone would copy it that well. As I stated earlier it really looks as you would expect from ERA.
The only explanation I can think of is that because it was stolen and parts were stripped from it in 1992 shortly after it was put on the road. When it was recovered the person who started to rebuild it sourced a unit from Rover including brake parts and brackets. The only thing wrong with that explanation, is, that it is not new, and it had the same Waxoil product on the sub frame as it had on the rest of the under body and the brake pipes all show signs of usage. The rear sub frame I know is a replacement and not original and has no Waxoil on it and no brake pipes.
I think it will remain a mystery.