Body kit rubber seal

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
deanojr7

Re: Body kit rubber seal

Post by deanojr7 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:54 pm

seals+direct have a few automotive seals might be worth a try mini jaguar etc

prop

Post by prop » Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 am

I have just sent an email to Seals+direct and am waiting for a reply

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Thu May 26, 2011 7:23 pm

The closest they have is a Jag seal. I had a sample arrive yesterday and it's too big :(

Also no joy from Pheonix trim or Coh-baines.

paul

Post by paul » Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 pm

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-322-ext ... ?pagenum=2

tried these and no match either.

Had a guy in the double glazing business say it looked familiar and could be from older type aluminium glazing systems...

paul

Post by paul » Mon May 30, 2011 9:24 pm

prop

Post by prop » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 am

I returned to George E Culley as he is the only supplier I have contacted that has returned any constructive information.

This is the last email I sent.

Hi.
I am getting nowhere with this. I have looked at thousands of profiles many the same some very complicated and strange. Nothing like the profile I need. Is there one main manufacturer that the trim suppliers get their stock from? You mentioned that it could be made in silicon. Could it be made in rubber? Are there reasons for and against either? The original as far as I know was made from rubber. I don't have a physical sample but I am sure I can get one if needed to make a copy. You mentioned that the cost would be £300. for the tool and 25 meters. As far as I know there is about 6 meters on a car. How much would be the cost of the second 25 meters , preferably in rubber.
Apologies for rambling on but I need to find this trim.
Regards Martin Birkinshaw

This is his latest reply

HI
THE TOOLING PROBABLY EXISTED MANY YEARS AGO BUT IF IT WERE FROM DUNLOP , OR MANY OF THE OTHER UK RUBBER COMPANIES CLOSED , IT WILL HAVE BEEN DESTRYOYED OR MELTED DOWN .....

TO MOVE FORWARD
I REALLY NEED A DRAWING OR SAMPLE TO WORK TO AND PROVIDE HARD COSTINGS , I CANNOT HELP WITHOUT INFORMATION

Regards

George E. Culley

I don't have a sample so now I am stuck.
Is anyone else is interested in commissioning a tool and run and splitting the costs? If it isn't to costly.

prop

Post by prop » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:59 am

The latest in the saga
Phoenix supplies sent me this email in reply to my latest attempt

Hello Martin.
Apologies for the delay in our reply.
We have sources the market and have not come up with any good news as yet.
The company that had the die cut originally will not release it for general use.
We have one similar but smaller, if you could issue us with your address, we can then send you a sample of it.
IF, you could obtain a 6" (125mm) sample then we could go down the route of looking in to having it made as you said.
The sample unfortunately would not be returned as it would be cut so we could contact manufactures who would need a piece.[/color]As you have looked at our website, if you require any samples from there, note the profile number and let us know.
Sorry this is the outcome so far, hope what we have said is of some help and look forward to hearing from you.
Regards Nigel Coles Phoenix Supplies

As I have said before I have no sample so at a full stop. I am now investigating alternatives

An old original

Post by An old original » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

I've got a spare foot of it. If you pm me with your address, I'll forward on to you, if you wish..

Dave

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 pm

i had a similar email off Nigel.

Hello Darren.
Apologies for the delay in our reply.
We have sourced the market and have not come up with any good news as yet.
The company that had the die cut originally will not release it for general use.
We have one similar but smaller, if you could issue us with your address, we can then send you a sample of it.
IF, you could obtain a 6" (125mm) sample then we could go down the route of looking in to having it made,
this though would not be cheap as it would involve a die being made, set up costs and then possibly 3000 metres.
The sample unfortunately would not be returned as it would be cut so we could contact manufactures who would need a piece.
If you have looked at our website and require any samples from there, note the profile number and let us know.
Sorry this is the outcome so far, hope what we have said is of some help and look forward to hearing from you.
Regards Nigel Coles Phoenix Supplies

3000m, that would keep us going for the next 100 years :lol:

prop

Post by prop » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:31 am

That makes George Culley with his £300 for 25 metre run look very good.
With modern laser culling techniques I would have thought that cutting a die would be a simple exercise compared with the 1990s.
If 40 metres would do 5 cars then £60 to £80 per car is high but if you got just the sport pack seals from Minispares it would cost £31.64 for the 4 arches only and this seal is half the size of the ERA seal and of course only goes around the wheel arch and not front an rear.
I haven't given up yet.